Wednesday, June 20, 2012

From the Post - Stephanie Law


Photobucket

This may seem obvious to people familiar with her work, but when I was a teenager my absolute favourite artist was Stephanie Law.  Her detailed landscapes and fairies inspired me to fill up many sketchbooks. The way she used layers to create the illusion of light kept me focused on improving my own skills. Her tutorials (which are probably still on her website) quite obviously guided my explorations into watercolour.

Photobucket


Back then, we were all very interested in fantasy themes. It was all about the Lord of the Rings, Angel Sanctuary and fantasy novels. I have an entire sketchbook embarrassingly full of wings wings wings.

Photobucket

I don't actually care much for fantasy themes anymore, and so I don't keep track of Stephanie's work as closely as I once did. But I did fall in love with this dragon print. Maybe it's the colour theme that made it stand out from the others?




No comments: